Capricornia Catchments Inc. is a not-for-profit, non-government community based, natural resource management organisation. The organisation’s office is based in Rockhampton, servicing an area of approximately 60,000km2 in Central Queensland. The organisation currently has over 600 individual members and 43 group members.
Capricornia Catchments is one of three subregions that receive operational funding from the Fitzroy Basin Association (FBA) to implement sustainable land management practices within the catchments of the Fitzroy, Boyne, Calliope and coastal catchments of Broadsound and Capricorn Coast regions for the past eight years.
In June 2015 Fitzroy River and Coastal Catchments (FRCC) changed its name to Capricornia Catchments Inc. to reflect the additional management responsibilities it has acquired for the Three Rivers and Boyne Calliope regions, formerly managed by FBA.
Capricornia Catchments now services three service districts, namely Fitzroy and Coastal Catchments, Three Rivers and Boyne Calliope. Each service district has its own locally based catchment committee operating as a sub-committee of the Capricornia Catchments Inc. management committee. Each district has a field office located at:
- Capricornia Catchments (main office) – Rockhampton
- Boyne Calliope catchments – Calliope
- Three Rivers catchments – Middlemount
Core Focus Areas of Capricornia Catchments Inc.
- Improving natural resource management practices
- Coordinating incentive programs for on-ground works and capacity building
- Supporting catchment and property scale monitoring programs
- Organising activities to raise awareness and promote continuous improvement of resource management
- Building partnerships with stakeholders
- Supporting the planning and implementation of Regional Natural Resource Management Plans